Butter tarts are made out to be difficult to make, not so. They are a beautiful addition to your Christmas baking and everyone is so impressed. This is my recipe, and I make it easier by using frozen tart shells. Honestly frozen tart shells are the best thing since sliced bread. If you want to make pastry go ahead, but be sure to add a couple hours extra on the prep time.
This recipe is a “dump” recipe. Add all the ingredients and mix; well you can keep the raisins until last and stir them in. Spoon out the goodness and half fill each shell. Bake until brown and set. So delicious.
Assemble all your ingredients and turn on your oven. Add everything into the small mixing bowl and mix until the butter is cut into small pieces and everything is blended together. Stir in raisins or chopped nuts. Place two dozen frozen shells on a large baking sheet. Fill the shells half full, they will bubble and overflow and make a big mess if you overfill. Bake until they are brown and set. Serve warm or cold. They also freeze well.
Easy Butter Tarts
- – 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- – 2 Eggs
- – 3 Tbsp Cold Butter
- – 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- – 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- – 1 Cup Raisins (or Currants if you prefer) * Can also add chopped nuts
- Mix all ingredients except raisins and blend until butter is in small chunks.
- Add raisins and stir
- Fill unbaked tart shells 1/2 full
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Watch carefully, turn cookie sheet half way through if your oven is not even.
- The filling should be set not runny. Add minutes on if you need to.